The Boxer Bulletin

The Student News Site of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School

The Boxer Bulletin

The Boxer Bulletin

Building Dreams

Yanira Chavez’s Journey as a Construction Hero in Boyle Heights
Building+Dreams

In the heart of Boyle Heights, the bustling streets and vibrant culture, lives a remarkable woman whose dedication to her community and unwavering commitment to her craft have made her a local hero. 

Yanira Chavez, a proud Latina and construction worker, has not only been instrumental in shaping the physical landscape of her neighborhood but has also served as an inspiring figure for aspiring young women in the community. 

Born and raised in Boyle Heights, Yanira’s connection to the neighborhood runs deep. Inspired by the idea of building something that would stand the test of time, she set her sights on a career in construction, a field dominated by men.

Yanira explains how her family and her friends helped her become a successful construction worker today by always being by her side and pushing her to be the best she can be. “ They helped me and I’m willing to help them now. It’s my turn to help out,” Yanira explained. 

Story continues below advertisement

Yanira has been in the industry for so long, along the way she gained useful knowledge for any women trying to make a living in construction. “The advice I would give a woman would be to just make sure what you want in life and to never give up because you’ll then be known as weak. You also have to make sure that you don’t get with no guy at a construction worksite because it will end badly or it just won’t work out,” said Yanira.

Doing this for over 12 years has shown Yanira a new perspective in her life. “For 12 years I’ve been a single mother with two kids. Being part of a construction worksite made my whole life change. It made me stronger and I really would like it if more females joined construction. It’s a good feeling, and it’s worth it,” Yanira said. 

Yanira’s impact on the construction industry and her community is undeniable, and she continues to pave the way for future generations of women to enter and thrive in traditionally male-dominated fields. Through her resilience and perseverance, Yanira is not only building structures but also breaking down barriers and shaping a more inclusive and diverse future for all.

Yanira’s childhood friend is Lily. Lily is a mother with one kid that saw Yanira’s strength and improvements over time. Lily decided to give construction a chance

“Yanira made my life change when I couldn’t find a job in construction as a female. She even spoke with her foreman to give me a chance and to prove that I was capable of being in a field full of men,” said Lily.

By demonstrating her resilience and dedication, Yanira challenges perceptions and encourages positive change within her community and the construction industry at large. Yanira Chavez’s presence as the only female in a male-dominated construction industry has challenged stereotypes and inspired the community.. “I balance work by focusing and trying my hardest every day.”

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Boxer Bulletin

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Boxer Bulletin

Comments (0)

All The Boxer Bulletin Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *