The Boxer Bulletin

The Student News Site of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School

The Boxer Bulletin

The Boxer Bulletin

The ODLH Detention Policy

Was this change necessary?
This is an image that is showing on how the students  are engaged on doing something during hours of detention. We can see a teacher or adult who is supervising the students during detention who is usually Mr.Lopez in ODLH.
The Rubicon
This is an image that is showing on how the students are engaged on doing something during hours of detention. We can see a teacher or adult who is supervising the students during detention who is usually Mr.Lopez in ODLH.

Mario Lopez is the student support specialist at Oscar De La Hoya Ánimo Charter High School. He is one part of the team that creates and enforces the rules and expectations at our school. Here at ODLH students may be sent to “Boxer Reset” or detention if they are late to school or have violated school policy.

The detention policy has always remained the same at ODLH, however for the 2023-2024 school year, the detention policy has been changed and is well known as Boxer Reset. Mr.Lopez revised this policy from last year because he noticed that there were students that would be late on purpose to have lunch detention since they would be in a room instead of outside on the rooftop. “They were late on purpose” explained Mr.Lopez, “the student arrived late so they will have to come after school and serve boxer reset for an hour.” 

Mr. Lopez wants to teach us that we as students have a responsibility to be at school on time and shouldn’t be late. Mr.Lopez gave the example of how if we are one minute late in a parking meter we get fined. it is more to teach you discipline, to teach you to be on time to let you know that if you are not doing what you’re supposed to be doing there are consequences.” Mr.Lopez shared.

The detention policy stands to guide students and teach us as students of ODLH the importance of being responsible and being on time so that when we get older we won’t fail to show these types of responsible behavior that is being taught to us now by this new policy that is being placed. When Mr.Lopez attended the green dot public high school he also had to serve detention for being a minute late. He also disliked and was not pleased with the policy. “I mean I didn’t like it but I showed up. I mean that was my responsibility as a student” he shared.

One of the changes that this new revision of the detention policy has accomplished is that there are now less students who are coming late to school. “We used to average about 150-160 students late last school year meaning the school year 2022-2023 this school year 2023-2024 we have average 35-45 students late on a really good day we have 20 students late” We can see that from last year to this year we can see the massive change “Since we started implementing the policy it has been 60. So it’s a huge difference when you go from 160 to 60 to even 30 students being late per day.” Mr.Lopez explained.

The detention policy will not be leaving ODLH and can be seen making a revision if a student decides to make a change. We might all have our own different opinions about this new policy but this policy is to show students responsibility for when they get older. “so when you know what your responsibility is then whatever the consequences you have to hold yourself accountable” Mr. Lopez explained