The Boxer Bulletin

The Student News Site of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School

The Boxer Bulletin

The Boxer Bulletin

One Foot At a Time

Jazmin+Mercado+and+her+teammates+after+running+Students+Run+Los+Angeles%2C+SRLA.+
Jazmin Mercado and her teammates after running Students Run Los Angeles, SRLA.

Jazmin  Mercado is a student runner preparing for Student Run Los Angeles, SRLA. Jazmin gives an example of how she as a student runner prepares to run a marathon, SRLA, while also providing examples of how she feels along the journey of preparing for a marathon.

Students Run Los Angeles (SRLA), is a non-profit organization that impacts students by providing a safe and supportive community. SRLA prepares student runners for the LA Marathon by training with volunteer leaders, and developing relationships and creating a community amongst their team.

Jazmin Mercado, an 11th grade student runner at Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School, is participating in SRLA for the first time this year. Jazmin Mercado joined SRLA due to the persuasion of her teammates and to allow a new adventure into her life.

As Jazmin prepares for this marathon, she experiences a lot of struggles, “I was nervous and I was dying cause we ran at Griffith Park and we ran over natural terrain, over hiking trails and it was so hot. It was like a 90 degree weather type thing…” Running a marathon is no easy task. It takes a lot of time and effort, sometimes weeks to months worth of training to be able to run 26 miles. “You know it’s difficult,” Jazmin says, “You think you’re almost done, but you’re not.”

A marathon is a very intimidating running event to participate in and do well in. It requires consistent training and self-discipline to be able to complete. “We try to get as much mileage as we can, for example during the weekends we try to run at least 8 to 12 miles,” Jazmin says, “That’s long distances, but throughout the week afterschool we run 4 to 5 miles, or 6 to 7.”

When coming upon the thought of running for a sport, some people but to be frank, running competitively is a truly hard sport that takes days to months of training a person’s physical self. “We ran over natural terrain, so over hiking trails and it was so hot, it was 90 degree weather.” Jazmin included.

Running is a wonderful sport that serves many purposes. Running could be a way to cope, relieve stress, have new experiences, physically become healthier, and much more. Running can connect people together by allowing them to share their triumphs. Running allows people to help each other when they feel like they can’t continue or cross that finish line. Running allows us to connect and experience love like no other with everyone else.

Running is a wonderful experience that many people use in their everyday lives. Especially SRLA as it gives students the opportunity to engage in the sport of running. Students Run Los Angeles is an amazing organization that every student can experience and participate in.

All students should have the opportunity to participate in SRLA as to its many benefits provided. Jazmin Mercado, a student runner gave a glimpse into her life as a runner allowing people to become more aware of the truthful running experience and the wonderful journey it came with. All it takes is to put one foot at a time.

I have never been the type to usually run and thought of no purpose for it, but after learning and really digging into the topic, I understand how essential it is in daily life. Having an open mind about running has allowed me to see the sport in a different light.