The Boxer Bulletin

The Student News Site of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School

The Boxer Bulletin

The Boxer Bulletin

Volleyball girls
A Setter's Leadership
March 19, 2024

A Leader’s Life

Discover the “behind the scenes” of a true leader.
Jackie+is+3rd+from+right%2C+with+her+some+members+of+her+lovely+team.+
Jackie is 3rd from right, with her some members of her lovely team.

Jacqueline “Jackie” Aguila is volleyball captain of the girls volleyball team at Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School. Jackie has been captain since this year 2023 and although it has been a challenge, she has used this position as an opportunity to grow personally. 

Jackie is in the middle of her junior year at ODLH and she holds a reputation as a leader, a friendly face, and a goal oriented person. Jackie has been in the volleyball team for 3 years, and In that time frame, she’s managed to have made a great impact on her team and they’ve had a great impact on her and have been a  big motivation for her. “… a sophomore girl, she told me that she hopes to set like me and I  don’t know I just took that to heart, just being told that is really amazing. It’s really great to hear and it honestly uplifted me and motivated me to try harder.”

Story continues below advertisement

Many people think being a leader only pertains to taking charge, though genuine leaders like Jackie know that being a leader means having a deeper connection to her team.“ I just hope to be a great influence in their lives” Jackie explained, “ and somebody they can turn to whether it’s regarding volleyball or not.” 

Jackie takes extensive steps to make sure that although she is an athlete, and involved in many other extra-curricular activities, that she’s the best version of herself she can be. Besides volleyball, Jackie is a member of the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, and student leadership. This reflects on how Jackie believes it’s important to have balance in life. Being an athlete and a student is demanding and challenging, but she pulls through. 

“It is the most challenging year for my academics cause I’m given a lot of work and I have to be on top of maintaining my grades and juggling volleyball” Jackie explained. Being a student athlete is not an easy task, it takes balance and rigorous time management.

Being in a sports team while also being the captain has great power. There are great moments but there are also moments of struggle. How a team overpowers that struggle decides just how great the team is. 

“There have been times where I’ve gotten in my head or where I completely felt like I let my team down but as I mentioned earlier they’ve always been there for me.” Jackie knows that teamwork overpowers everything, whether it’s moments of doubt, moments of questioning. Nevertheless, Jackie leads a team who knows that not winning the most points, having the best serve, but taking care of eachother is the most important thing. 

Jackie has been an influence on many people. Though as a captain, her main influence has been on her girls. She’s taught her girls about respect, all being individual leaders, and most importantly, to work as a team. Jackie admits that there are struggles in being a student athlete, and captain, but because of the influence she’s had on her team, they all know that it is of great importance that they back each other up and empower each other.  Teamwork is an aspect that is important in all of our lives, and if we use it as a key aspect in our life, we will succeed. 

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Boxer Bulletin

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Boxer Bulletin

Comments (0)

All The Boxer Bulletin Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *