The Boxer Bulletin

The Student News Site of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School

The Boxer Bulletin

The Boxer Bulletin

The Booming Business:

Uncover the community’s inspirational business owner, Darwin Caballero
This photo was taken in one of the very first houses he remodeled.

Darwin Caballero has owned a home improvement business for five years and continues to look at new ways to improve. Darwin puts all his determination, persistence, and passion into each floor remodel he does. These skills have helped him through the process and made his business successful.

Darwin, a 33-year-old Mexican-American owns a home improvement business, with a goal to show people that it is possible to achieve their dreams. Darwin wanted to be someone who can inspire his family, friends, and coworkers to never give up, despite the step backs he faced for being Mexican. Starting a business was something Darwin was interested in and he made it possible because he wanted his community to know that no matter what race you are it’s not impossible to achieve.

With a smile on his face, Darwin describes that his journey was difficult, but he wouldn’t do anything differently. “Honestly I wouldn’t change a bit. I just like that everything went the right way and obviously I had trials and tribulations but without all that I wouldn’t be where I am now,” Darwin says.

Darwin’s self motivation is passionately explained, “Since I started, I have been doing a business for five years and the moment I started, I figured I would be successful and the only reason is because I clearly told myself ‘I am the only reason why I could fail or I could succeed.’”

Darwin gives advice about learning experiences he wishes he knew during a difficult time. “Some of my biggest learning experiences was that you can’t do it on your own; it takes a village…I got to the point where I realized I needed the help, so you kind of have to let your business grow without letting others get in the way of your business,” Darwin says with a quavering voice clearly showing his emotional connection to the topic.

Darwin’s perseverance has helped people outside of his family, such as his customers. The majority of his customers are Mexicans who are trying to start a small business and he has given each one of them the best advice he can to encourage them to continue their business. “I believe everyone has the power to start a business as long as they are consistent,” he explained, “I have received many compliments for my hard work and I try my best to help other people who are also trying to start their own business.”

If Darwin had given up when he was facing step backs there wouldn’t be as many people around him inspired by his hard work. He gained a lot of support from family and friends throughout this journey because he taught them to not give up and to look at things in a lighter manner even if things don’t go well. Trying to set a good example for others has paid off after seeing that his business encourages others to move forward in a position that they enjoy.

Although there is no denying that there will be hardships, we also have to think about the positive outcome that will come from these learning experiences. Darwin’s experience encourages us to not always look at the negativity that you receive from people, instead be beside the people who brighten up your days, so that the next day you can smile and try again.