The Boxer Bulletin

The Student News Site of Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School

The Boxer Bulletin

The Boxer Bulletin

“Coming to the U.S. with a different language. It was really hard for me.”

This+is+Jose+on+a+date+with+my+mom+at+his+favorite+restaurant+.+
This is Jose on a date with my mom at his favorite restaurant .

Jose Cervantes is a 37 year old electrician that wouldn’t be the person he is today if it wasn’t for his past experiences in his childhood. Coming to the United States at a young age influenced almost every aspect of his life. Jose Cervantes had a difficult time adjusting to his new life without his parents. Although he didn’t have his parents to take care of him, the person that was always there for him was his grandma.

She is considered to be his mom because of all the sacrifices she took to make sure Jose had everything he needed. Jose was able to overcome difficulties thanks to his grandma and he was able to learn life lessons due to his past experiences.

Transcript: 

Gaby Meza: What was it like growing up?
Jose Cervantes: Me growing up was kind of hard because I didn’t have my mom and dad next to me. I grew up with my grandma, my grandma took care of us since we were little kids. It was kind of hard but at the same time it was…it was really special because I learned a lot of good things about my grandma, a lot of good things, a lot of positive things like to be respectful to other people and to behave.
GM: What is your favorite memory with your grandma? 
JC: A lot..I got a lot of…a lot of favorite memories with  my grandma, for example when she used to take us to El Mercado to buy us toys because we were good kids, for example we were good students during the week she use to give us like for example buy us candies or buy us something special during the weekend because it was kind of hard for her to buy like good stuff all the time because she was a single mother.
GM: Was it hard coming to the United States at a young age? 
JC: Yeah it was really hard because of the language. I came when I was 12 years old and for me it was kind of hard because right away I went to middle school and middle schools it was not that good because there was a lot of I would say a lot of bullying during the time I was there and it was not a good middle school and me coming to the U.S. with a different language it was really hard for me.
GM: What career do you wish you pursued? 
JC: I was… I  always wanted to be an electrician. I don’t know why I always like that type of career.
GM: What did having kids teach you? 
JC: Responsibility.. Having kids you have to be really responsible especially when you like to spend money on cars…car parts..and that stuff. When you have kids you have to be responsible with your stuff and all types of material for example diapers, food, clothes you have to be really responsible and having kids gives you responsibility. 
GM: How do you envision your life without kids? 
JC: I don’t envision my life without kids because I came from a big family where there’s a lot of kids and I love kids, all the kids I have right now are my happiness and that’s why I can not see myself without kids.
GM: What was an experience that was hard to overcome?
JC: Uh, losing one of my friends in a car accident that I had on October 8th 2006 was really hard because I had a seizure that day that morning and we got a really bad accident where one of my friends passed out.
GM: What was the happiest moment in your life?
JC:  Having my kids each one of them really, it’s really another experience of happiness knowing that it’s one of your…knowing that’s your blood and seeing the way they come and change your life I think it’s one of the happiest moments in my life.
GM: What is an accomplishment you are most proud of?
JC: Finish high school and college…well I graduate high school with honors, it’s one of my accomplishments because I was the oldest of my brothers and uh I had to show them an example.
GM: What is something you regret in life? 
JC: I don’t think nothing big that I regret the things that I think I regret when I was younger I use to smoke and drink and with the time I learned that it’s not good for me especially since I have kids behind my back that I have to take care of and I want to have a good health to live with them as long as I can.
GM: Is there anything else you’d like to add?
JC: Uh..no.
GM: Thank you.